We are committed to ensuring UBM plays a positive role within wider society, and we strive to minimise any negative environmental and social impact UBM's operations may have.
This commitment to "doing the right thing" is part of our identity and we believe that this approach strengthens the business, helps us recruit and retain employees, and improves our reputation with customers and suppliers.
UBM's Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) has been assured by Trucost in accordance with approved verification standard AA1000 for the last four years. The most recent statements, and details of UBM's Environmental Policy, can be found below:
Managing our environmental impact is a key focus for UBM. We have made significant further progress in this area over the years:
- 15% reduction in global offices' emissions per employee since 2010 (exceeding the targeted 10% by 2016)
- UBM became a leader in climate disclosure for the industry as the only events-based business to be included in the CDP FTSE 350 Climate Disclosure Leadership Index (CDLI), scoring 100 - the maximum number of points available.
- UBM joined the CDP 'Commit to Action' programme ahead of the UN climate change conference COP 21 in Paris
- The new London office achieved LEED Platinum certification - the highest level of certification for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design. Industry leading energy efficiencies has meant that energy usage in the new building has been reduced by 50%, saving over £0.1m per annum.
- Global event emissions calculations were carried out for the third year. UBM continues to be the only global event's organiser to monitor the carbon footprint of its events.
- We now have 13 events certified against ISO 20121 - Sustainable Event Management system (2014: 11 events).
Utilities data from UBM offices has been recorded over the last 5 years. In line with our new sustainability priorities and our Events First strategy, we are now also reporting on energy usage and waste from our events (see table)
For each new UBM office, energy 'smart meters' are installed wherever possible. These meters measure UBM's energy usage on a real-time basis, enabling accurate monitoring and therefore management of usage.Monthly energy reduction league tables keep facilities and sustainability teams aware of theor office's position in the league and the associated cost savings.
This technology, reporting and regular communication has enabled us to consistently reduce energy usage at our offices over the last three years